Friday, October 15, 2010

The State of Play

I think of the stuff I write as being in two categories, the serious and non-serious. The latter are the things I do for Associated Content and the like, and the former are those I actually want to have some quality to them. There IS a certain pride in a decent AC piece, especially one that actually drags in the hits (somehow), but at the end of the day I'm crunching words for a Yahoo! owned website that's universally reviled by most news sites. Some of my more popular ones on there have been the ones I cut and pasted from throwaway pieces of crap I originally tapped up on the horrible Helium. I learned some time ago that carefully crafted and considered pieces invariably get less than a hundred hits, and things I consider garbage seem to go viral unexpectedly. Bizarre, but true.

I seem to knock out far more of the non-serious than the serious at the moment, at least in a publishable form. That is to say, it seems to be the only things I finish right now. I'm hoping this will pick up next month, as it's NaNoWriMo again in November. Right now, I'm wracking my brains to see if I can come up with any concepts, any imagery that'll be fertile enough to drag 50,000 words out of it. If I manage it, it'll be the first time I ever have. This will really be the focus for the rest of the month. Going to try and make passing reference to it here if possible, and certainly going to try and develop this blog throughout that month.

And that's how things stand at the moment. Lots of thinking, not much writing, much optimism. Sick and worn out and stressed, but otherwise things aren't so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment