Friday, December 31, 2010

Incoherent ramblings, or, The importance of having something to write about

Well, the new system seems to be working more or less swimmingly; some slight hesitance on Windows’ part to recognise the formatting of the text file, despite me using the supposedly linux-friendly metapad for editing; it still copied and pasted into wordpress just fine, though.

Also figured out how to turn off the typewritery sounds this editor makes while you type. It’s cute and all, but I suspect it’d drive you batshit within a matter of hours if you left it on.

Which just leaves something to write about today, which is where I'm pretty much drawing a blank. Its New Years Eve, of course; no plans for tonight other than getting home before the firing of guns in the air commences. Yep, it’s that kind of neighbourhood we’re in, I’m afraid. Luckily we have a lift home, which means we should be in a goodly while before midnight. Work is impressively random as to the volume of calls coming in. At some points, we have calls queuing in double figures, at others, it’s completely dead. I suspect as the night goes on and we get into the hours where the places we answer for are normally closed, it’ll quiet down entirely. As to what it’ll be like tomorrow, I have no idea. Saturdays are normally hell, and people seem somehow gloriously unaware of national holidays, but if I had to predict anything, I’d say probably marginally quieter than the average weekend shift.

...Somebody has just suggested we might get our asses kicked by our client that has a chain of stores selling overpriced childrens clothing to people with more money than sense (or at least, more credit than sense) might well be starting their new year’s sale tomorrow. If that’s the case, the three of us who are there after 8.30pm are going to be well and truly fucked up the ass by the volume of calls. Again. Frankly, though, this is such a common occurrence on a Saturday that it’s lost any kind of meaning a long, long time ago.

Apparently there were multiple tornado warnings and much storminess this morning, to the point where the emergency sirens were going. I couldn’t honestly say, as I slept through the whole damned thing.

Finally seem to be getting over the horrible chest cold I’ve had for the past week or more. I’m actually able to breathe without wheezing, and coughing doesn’t seem to be a potentially fatal event any more. Kit... seems to be improving, though she started with it all a couple of days before me.

Finally, really, really have to get a little more organised as to what the hell I’m going to be typing here every day. I’m pretty much clutching at straws today for anything to write about. I have a couple of half-assed ideas for articles in the near future, but they’re not something I can just pull out of thin air. Might also have a look on the news and see if anything remotely interesting is going on that I work up a commentary/editorial about on AC.

No comments:

Post a Comment